Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Elbow Room - Every girl deserves a makeover

I've come to the realization that I have everything (everything substantially relevant, in my opinion) it takes to be the perfect women. I'm educated. I'm independent. I'm gainfully employed. I have a bar. That's right a bar. What more could anyone want? (That was rhetorical.)

Well, bar might not be the best description for it. It's more of a pub. Okay, that might also be a stretch. Let's call it what it is--a beer joint. A beer joint because there is no kitchen so we don't serve food. In Mississippi, without a kitchen and percentage of the income from food, one cannot get a liquor license.

This small beer joint located in the historic district (not the good street) of Columbus, Mississippi was opened in 1952. At least that's what the sign out front says. Some locals say that it' been around longer.

I knew the bar well before I decided to re-open it. It had been a place I rarely visited as an adult when I lived in Columbus--the town where I grew up--but visited often on return visits. I should mention here that I live in California and the bar is in Mississippi. (A long story which will be addressed later.) The bar had been closed for about a year when I made the decision to venture into the world of late nights and cold brews. I was certain that this would be a relatively easy, turn-key start up business. It's not like I was starting from scratch. Or so I thought.


The lease was signed, licenses and permits applied for. All was done and the only thing left was to get the key and hire a cleaning crew to go in, clean up, and stock the inventory.  My heart sank when I receive a one line text from my bar manager (the most awesome son a mother could have.) "This place should be condemned."

That one-line text was followed by these photos. 



The previous proprietor simply closed the doors and left

The ceiling was falling down from leaks in the roof.

That's not dust, that mold. Serious mold remediation had to be done.

The condition was almost a show-stopper. But, as is my nature,
I decided that I was up for the challenge.
Putting on my "Project Manager" hat, tapping all my resources (awesome son, especially), mold remediation done, and maxing a credit card; three and one-half weeks later, this is what she looked like.


Every girl (Yes, the Elbow Room is a she.) wants to be loved for who and what she is, regardless of how she looks. But, from time-to-time, every girl deserves a makeover. We are giving the Elbow Room her makeover.

5 comments:

  1. We are super happy with the way the lighting and the ceiling came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole place is amazing! Wow, what a transformation! As the "sister" in the story, I always loved the Elbow Room. I love it even more now. You have turned a beer joint into a classy litttle pub which is warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice. I love the picture of us as kids with Daddy that's hanging in the bar. Did you ever think that your picture would be on display in a bar? heehee.

      Better a bar than the post office, I suppose. :-)

      Delete