Sunday, April 27, 2014

Music History at the Elbow Room

When I opened the Elbow Room in September 2013, I knew she was something special; something to be preserved. To me she held a personal history. As we renovated, a long forgotten mural made its appearance. That alone is worthy of preservation. But, the Bow has much more to share with us. She’s gradually making her history known to this new generation of patrons, artists, and proprietors.

As is the way of time, treasured memories are lost if not recorded for posterity. I was asked recently what makes the Elbow Room historic; which tells me that the facts and stories of the bar are beginning to be lost. I will try to rectify that.

In a recent post, I shared the story of Buckshot, the bartending dog. In my search for old photos. I found one that pictures the old refrigerator that stood in the back corner of the bar. The very same refrigerator that Buckshot would open, retrieve a beer, and close. But, the refrigerator was not the only thing in the photo.

Yet another fact, revealed itself. While unknown to me and probably most of the current patrons, I’m sure some of our old-timers may recall the days when the legendary James “Son” Thomas and the Blues Professor, Walter “Wales” Liniger, performed at the Elbow Room. 

James "Son" Thomas and Walter "Wales" Liniger
performing at the Elbow Room Columbus, MS in the mid 80s.

While taking a deeper dive into the lives and times that Son and Wales performed at the Elbow Room, I found another link to a Mississippi Blues legend and a historic event that happened right at the Bow. In an interview, Bob Rowell, Mississippi Spoonman was asked how he got the name Spoonman. The story began, “In 1989 I was at the Elbow Room in Columbus, Mississippi, and James “Son” Thomas was there.” To learn more about how Rob Rowell got his moniker, read the interview here. http://www.americanbluesscene.com/2012/11/at-home-mississippi-spoonman-2/

Mississippi Spoonman, Bob Rowell, got is moniker from James "Son" Thomas
at the Elbow Room Columbus, MS


Further evidence of Elbow Room contributions to the promote Blues Music in Mississippi is a mention on a historical marker in downtown Columbus. 


I strongly encourage everyone to read Walter Liniger's site. It's steeped with Blues history and personal insights on how he found his music. 

Walter “Wales”Liniger

James “Son” Thomas is not with us today, by his memories and music live on to inspire today's artists and music lovers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Thomas_(blues_musician) (Elbow Room photo is featured on this wiki page)

2 comments:

  1. wow! I love learning the history of the Elbow room. and I really love that blues is part of it's history. hopefully you will have more blues music in the future. there are a lot of blues fans in this town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's Mississippi John Doude. He was there two weeks ago. Enjoy.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn8bcgUDCqY

    ReplyDelete